Thursday, March 31, 2016

My Research Question

1.     I decided to do my topic of climate change denial because I want to understand why people still refuse to believe in climate change yet the evidence is very real and the consequences are dire if nothing is done about it. Is it a lack of information, or do they simply refuse to believe that the climate won’t take care of itself?
2.     I want to be able to answer why people refuse to believe in climate change or are against the idea of changing our ways so that we are more in line with protecting the environment and attempting to advert climate change.
3.     I already know that climate change is bad and that there is real evidence of its existence. What I do not understand is how someone can claim ignorance in face of the data that is presented to him or her. How do they benefit from still being a disbeliever? What do they need to hear to be able to take action or at least acknowledge this issue as being real. A person driver for me doing this is that I had an agriculture teacher that was adamant about climate change being fake even though agriculture is supremely dependent on the climate as well as weather. My teacher was always forcing his ideology down the student’s throats, and if you were not aligned to his ideals then you were ridiculed. I want to understand why someone would hold such an adamant opinion on a topic like this and how to deal with someone who is educating kids to believe in something without first questioning it or seeing the other side of the argument.
4.     I need to hear from people who do not agree with climate change and hear their arguments our and make an information judgement on what is the root cause of their sentiments. Is it economically motivated, such as big business not acknowledging  climate change  as an issue, or is it the idea that nothing happened before so why should it happen now? Or is it because people are scared to face the reality and potential impending doom if we do nothing about it.

5.     I need to read up about those who promote climate change and hear about what kind of counter arguments they hear, as well as see what climate change deniers have to say for themselves on the issue. If I can hear both sides of the argument and get an idea about what logical argument both sides have going for them. Then I might be able to ascertain why someone might disagree with the existence of severity of climate change.

No comments:

Post a Comment